From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:34:51 -0700
At 03:29 AM 03/13/2000 , you wrote:
>Hello
>
>I'm experimenting with linking/networking several PC's. The PC's are good
>quality runnning W98. I'd like to keep the solution as easy as possible to
>begin with then get more elaborate in time!
>
>So my first aim is to:
>
>Link the PC's together using network cards and W98. Allow all the PC's to
>access the internet via one ISDN connection. Be able to share files between
>each other.
>
>My questions are:
>
>1. What type/make of network card will be best for this?
>2. What type of cabling is best?
>3. Will it be possible for all the PC's to acces the internet via one ISDN
>connection?
>4. What will I need to do with W98 to get them all talking to each other?

We have numerous articles and guides on this subject on The NOSPIN Group
web site:   http://nospin.com/pc/network/index.html

I wrote these articles last fall and they are all still timely.  It explains the
components necessary, the proper cabling and step-by-step procedures
to setup a personal network.

As far as network cards, that is a matter of personal preference.  You can
buy expensive cards like 3com, (I use 3com 905TX cards), or less expensive
cards like Linksys.  I sell a lot of Linksys LNE100TX cards since they are
PCI, use the Tuplip chipset that is supported by LINUX and I am yet to find
any compatibility issues with Linksys cards.  Now, these cards are 10/100mb
or megabit cards.  You can buy even cheaper 10mb cards and components,
but if you spend a bit more and go with 100mb cards and hubs, you will
appreciate the benefit of the faster data movement between your PCs on
the network.

Once you have the LAN or Local Area Network built, you can add Gateway
software to the PC that currently connects to the Internet to allow your entire
network to access the Internet.  Here are a couple of programs that work
well:
        SYBERGEN (formerly Sygate):  http://www.sybergen.com/
        Wingate:  http://www.wingate.com  ( I use this on my home LAN)

Since you are using WIndows98, there is also Virtual Private Networking
included in Windows98 that will perform this same function.  VPN is a bit
more difficult to configure and not as secure as the two application above.

As far as cabling recommendations, the best type is CAT5 or 10baseT.  This
type of cabling is much like common phone cabling.  I prefer this to Coax
cable or 10base2 as it is easier work with and more cards are designed these days
for Cat5 cabling.  Cat5 cabling uses a RJ45  connector, which looks like a
phone jack plug only larger, (phone connectors are RJ11).  I appreciate that
you are in the UK and the standards I am discussing are for the US and may
not apply, at least the phone connects,  in the UK.

Anyway...  take a few minutes to read the Guides and Articles on our web
site.  I hope they explain most of the issues.  Hopefully, one of these first
days I will be able to write the MS VPN Guide for the web site.

       Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html