Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:42:45 -0500
>From:    gordon <[log in to unmask]>
>
>This is a great report, Binnie! Do you do anything else for your health
>aside from following a paleo way of eating?

Since you asked, actually I do. There are quite a few factors that
may have contributed to my great test results. Many of them are
paleo, and some definitely are not.  I'll try to list them all. But
please be advised that the following protocol is, as always, a work
in progress:

Besides trying to eat only the foods allowed on NeanderThin, I also
take great care about the types of fats I eat. I prefer to eat as
little "farm raised" saturated animal fat as possible, and I never
eat partially hydrogenated fats or trans fats. Instead I use extra
virgin olive oil as my main fat source and I monitor my omega 3
intake pretty carefully, trying to get several different types from
different sources. Twice a week I will eat sardines or salmon for EPA
and DHA. Two days a week I take perilla oil for ALA. Once a week I
have organic hemp nuts which provide omega 3 and GLA. The two
remaining days of the week I have English walnuts or purslane when
available, and  I swallow 1 tablespoon of Carlson's codliver oil per
week. I try to be careful about lipid peroxidation, cook meats with
methods that use lower temperatures like baking and broiling, and I
never scramble my eggs. I've switched to stainless steel cookware and
I filter my drinking water.

On a daily basis I include a variety of nuts and berries and dark
leafy greens. I probably eat kale, spinach, almonds, blueberries and
strawberries every single day. I eat either lean beef, chicken, fish,
turkey or an egg with every single meal, and try to get as many
varieties of fruits and vegetables in my diet as possible. Most
cooked food is seasoned with kelp or a very high quality sea salt and
tumeric. I put onions, garlic, thyme and ginger in everything, and I
drink lots of green and black teas. I often make Sally Fallon's
wonderful recipe for mineral leaching beef/bone broth. If I must give
in to my sometimes powerful sweet cravings, I eat dried prunes, figs,
or one or two squares of slightly sweetened dark chocolate. I drink 6
oz of Aloe Vera juice and take a multiple vitamin (without iron or
calcium) daily.

I practice calorie restriction as much as possible, but not
religiously. I don't count calories, measure food or try to stay in
ketosis .

I walk 45 minutes to 1 hour 5 days a week, preferably outdoors. I
live in the north and we don't get much sunlight for a large part of
the year, so I skip the sunscreen except in very strong sunlight. I
ride my bike a lot in the spring through fall. I also do 20 minutes
of resistance training each day.

For the last year, since I started menopause, I've donated blood
twice a year. While I obviously do supplement with vitamins,
minerals, and antioxidants, I'm not comfortable with hormone
replacement therapy or even taking soy for the phyto estrogens.

I've stopped using deodorants that contain aluminum, toothpaste with
fluoride and shampoo with laurel sulfate.

My occupation requires that I work with low level beta emitters and
organic solvents, so I supplement with the antioxidants CoQ10 with
tocotrienols and alpha lipoic acid. Finally, I take about 2000 mg of
CLA to compensate for the fact that I don't have access to wild game.

I go to Walt Disney World whenever possible (where I meet up with
friends I've made all over the world). It keeps me smiling. And, I
sing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah whenever I feel stressed to keep the cortisol
from frying my brain : -)

  Binnie