BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:22:56 -0400

...you went ahead and did it anyway....

Better check your sources....

From Corvallis:

"One Bungalow variant is the Aeroplane of Airplane Bungalow. A 1920's
phenomena, this type of Bungalow is characterized by a partial second story
rising from the otherwise sprawling form. The Whiteside House at 344 SW
Seventh Street is an excellent example of an Areoplane Bungalow (Fig.
IV-38)."  <http://www.ci.corvallis.or.us/historic/context/motor11.html>

I believe you will find that both Lancaster and Duchscherer also share this
definition.  I would argue that your definition describes a couple of core
characteristics of "ultimate Arts & Crafts" craftsman-style houses: shallow
roof slopes, wide eaves.  Then we tricked them up with the variants:
oriental, swiss, mission, aeroplane, etc., etc.
Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.      "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                   heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                     -- Elbert Hubbard
[log in to unmask]               Proud member of Team Heretic