BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 14:06:28 EDT
In a message dated 5/24/00 10:01:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I have long postulated that what we need to do as preservationists is get
the aesthetics out of preservation.

Dan,

I think it also has to do with removing the stigma of class heirarchy from
historic preservation so that a larger number of people feel that their
heritage is acceptable.

Last weekend I was down at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, NY's first
municipal airport, (home base for Wrong Way Corrigan as well as several other
air flight records) and met with the octagenarian WWII guys fixing up the old
planes. Hearing them talk about wanting the 1940's hanger fixed up was an
inspiration in confusion and miscommunication... but you could also sense
that they felt like they were begging for recognition in a world that no
longer accepts them as relevant. The roar of airliners overhead, taking off
from nearby Kennedy, added to the ambience.

][<en