BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Trelstad, Derek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:18:32 -0500
One of my fondest memories of a long trip to Rome a decade ago was a lunch I
had in an unmarked cafe -- precise location temporary inaccessible in gray
(not Gray) matter. Consisted of whole fish -- about a dozen -- lightly and
delicately fried accompanied by a glass or two of red wine (vintage, vinter,
unknown). Despite my consipuously 'Murican travelling companions, who
sneered at the fixed pupils of the fish staring at them, I achieved a moment
or two free of the unshakeable tourist stigma. Of course, being tall, rather
fair, and blue-eyed I was still irretrievably "strange" (as the Italians are
so fond of saying).

On a less successful trip, I did manage to find myself fleeing Trafalgar
Square when I realized the tourists -- certainly dumber than pigeons -- were
feeding their lunches to avian rats, who were then crapping on them from the
trees above.

So, I stay in New York, scowl at tourists shuffling along the sidewalks,
pretend I didn't grow up hundreds of miles away, and sometimes wish I were
somewhere else.

Sign me,

Grumpy Old Man