RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
marilyn traber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:50:42 -0500
;-)
I don't in general do grains or legumes - I do a fairly strict
low-carb now to control my blood glucose. I can manage maybe 1
standard helping of 'garbage carbs' [complex carbs to everybody
else - grains and legukmes. ;-)

In my youth, the way to eat ferex raw oats was to shuck the oat
berries from a single stalk and rub between the palms briskly to
knock off the outer green catlets [the part that was protecting
the whole berry] and stuff the grains in a pocket. Periodically
you take a grain out of your pocket and crunch it between your
molars to make the outer sheath of bran loosen so yu can eat the
grain and spit out the bran husk.  If you have dry, you can still
strip off the catlet and even the bran husk by briskly rubbing it
between the palms intil they loosten and you can discard them. If
I were to try to do a larger amount of the grains, I would make a
pile of them on a flat sort of dished rock and rub lightly with a
stone and then collect the grains and then eat them. You can
process barley and wheat the same way. It does get easier to
thresh and winnow grains when they are dry rather than green, but
then again they dry naturally on the stalk in nature ;-)

In all reality, it is just as annoying [to me at least] to sit
there and hull and crack open walnuts and almonds in large
amounts  as it is to thresh and winnow grains.
margali
a carnivore who is vegan friendly, they leave more meat for me
;-)
--
~~~~~
The Quote Starts Here: