Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:24:07 +1100
Hi Jim,

There is one thing to check first: are you sure there is a Infrared port at the back of your PC? I don't know your mobo, I know some mobo do have Infrared capability but do not have the the port connector, you will have to get a connector first in order to make Infrared work. eg. My mobo has USB capability but does not ship with USB port connector, so I can't use any USB devices unless I install a 10 pin connector first.
Another issue is that Infrared signal cannot overcome object, if there is any thing between your PC and printer or they are not in a position of straight line (infrared usually work in 30 degree area or less).

Jun Qian

Jim Cook wrote:

> Hello,
>      I need a lesson on using the infrared capabilities of a computer.  The motherboard I am using is a Shuttle 637P.  The board does have infrared capabilities. But I don't know what I am doing and my supplier of the board does not either.  The Shuttle web site was no help either.  Here is what I have done.
>      I have gone into the BIOS and enabled the infrared.  The web site said COM2 can be configured for infrared communicatio.  I did that.  When I restarted the computer, Windows 98 found the infrared port and installed the software for it.  I get a small icon on the taskbar telling me it is looking for an infrared device.  I have a HP laser printer that supports infrared communication.  The printer is set up correctly.  The LPT port is set for LPT 3 which is the infrared port.  The printer is located about 10 feet away.  Everything is working fine but the computer does not see the printer.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>