"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:35:53 -0800
On Tuesday, February 29, 2000 6:16 PM, "Byron" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I set up a network at home using NT Server and Workstation.  These two
> work together just fine.  However, I can't figure out how to get Windows
> 95 to join the network.  I can't find anything that tells me how to
> setup the Windows 95 to join the NT network.  Everything I've tried just
> gets me a "network path can't be found" error.  Can anyone help?

Windows 95 is usually considered to be the client with Windows NT considered
the server.
With Windows NT you will have to manually set the IRQ's and install any
drivers that are necessary. Windows 95 can make installation simpler with
plug and play. For Network Cards that support this all you might have to do
is place the card in the slot, load up Win95 and wait for the OS to prompt
for any disks or CD's it may need. Still this it not foolproof but usually
it works.

For both operating systems the Network Neighborhood is used to connect to
other
computers and/or servers. The network neighborhood can be accessed from
either
the desktop or in Explorer. If you want to separate computers, different
workgroups can be set. An entire drive or a specific folder can be shared
and
set read only and/or write only passwords. The sharing of printers is also
possible. Net watcher allows a person to monitor files are open on another
computer and what shares are access and by whom. For this option to work
remote
administration must be set. Mapping a network resource is possible by right
clicking on it and selecting map network drive. Two types of sharing is
possible. Share level access and User level access. Share level access would
be
the same as a peer to peer network where each resource has a password and
all is needed is the password to access it. User level access would be used
for a server based network with Windows NT. Access is allowed by a master
list on a server.
Only people on this list will have access. If Windows 95 is the only OS used
than only a peer to peer network is possible. The following web sites have
some additional info:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/j_helmig/faq.htm and
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/j_helmig/nt4.htm . HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth