From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 15:26:53 -1000
Trish:
>The meat is wonderful, but I do not know if
>they are truly organic.

They aren't. Organic feed is expensive compared to the other stuff. Harris
is simply no-antibiotics/no-hormones--better than nothing I guess. I would
guess when their animals get sick, they simply treat them and sell them
generically instead of letting them die. Harris beef is very marbled--not a
good sign. Though that was also the best we could find/afford when we lived
in the San Diego area...:/

This is where the word organic becomes not very useful. We have over 50
chickens that free-range all day, have no secure coop, etc. But when there
is less-than-optimal rainfall we will throw out scratch for them. Probably
95%+ of their diet is foraged. Yet the scratch we throw out is not organic
so they are not organic chickens (or eggs).

Another fellow can keep their chickens inside and feed them pelletized
organic grains and their chickens and eggs are organic.

Same goes for beef.

Here in Hawaii there are lots are pastured cows but people pay top dollar
for mainland (feedlot) beef. I would take a pastured animal (even if it was
given some antibiotics for pinkeye once in its life) over much of the
organic beef in mainland markets.

A tangential way of thinking about it: a human could eat entirely organic
vegan foods and be labeled organic--but I wouldn't want to eat them. ;)

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft