From:
"S.B. Feldman, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:26:20 EST
In a message dated 3/27/00 4:03:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Recent epidemiological studies in Hawaii suggest that consumption of soy is
 associated with brain atrophy and cerebral insufficiencies. People who ate a
 lot of tufu in their lifetimes were found to have smaller brains and more
 evidence of dementia in old age. More studies need to be done, in my
 opinion, but this study should be enough to scare anyone away from soy.

 If these soy/brain studies are confirmed then it will be incredibly
 persuasive evidence in favor of the paleodiet. >>

I think that putting anything more than a tiny bit of value on an individual
study of this sort does not make good sense. If it happens to fit into an
ideology or viewpoint, that is fine, but it should not be mistaken for
objective evidence of any sort that should guide your food choices. There is
no food group or type that has not or can not be villefied with single
epidemiologic studies. I certainly wouldn't want the poster to infer that her
soy protein isolate would someday be responsible for her shrunken brain.