Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 16:53:08 -0800
>> A new study raises the disturbing possibility that taking vitamin C
>> pills may speed up hardening of the arteries:
>>
>>    http://www.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/03/02/heart.vitaminc.ap/index.html
>>
>>This seems to conflict with the Pautil-Rath Hypothesis:
>>
>>    http://www.paulingtherapy.com/
>
>Ok, I found some comments too.  One line summary: don't panic.

>    >People taking 500 milligrams of vitamin C daily for at least a
>    >year had a 2-1/2 times greater rate of thickening than did those who
>    >avoided supplements.  Among smokers, the rate was five times greater.
>
>    The problem is that the comparison is with "those who avoided
>    supplements."  It sounds like they took two groups, one that took
>    vitamin C and one that took *no* supplements.
>
>    If that is correct, than the people whose rate of thickening included
>    those taking all kinds of supplements and the thickening might not
>    be caused from vit. C.

First of all, the subject is rather off-topic for this list. Drop
by news:sci.med.nutrition for longer and better-informed discussion.

That said, Paleos and others on the fringe of WOE and WOL compared
to SAD obviously have a different physiology & metabolism than
the mainstream. A scientist expressing alarm over thickened arteries
sees a pathology -- whereas it's probably the first time in his career
that he's seem a non-scorbutic, strong & thick artery. That a given
boffin might be in the pay of heart-medicine makers is seldom revealed.

This is just the latest shot in a decades-long anti-vitamin campaign by
the patent-medicine makers. Paleos get their share of high-carbo-centric
hysteria and condemnation; this is related in that the "system" is
fighting back against the attainment of true health and well-being.

Ascorbate/Vitamin C is singled out for the most frequent attacks
simply because getting enough eliminates & reduces so many conditions
that orthodox medicine profits so handsomely from. A long litany of
attacks goes back decades: it causes kidney stones; it destroys vitamin
B12; it degrades DNA; and now, it *causes* athersclerosis. All
hypothetical, none observed, just spreading fear, uncertainty, doubt.