CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:44:09 -0600
Here's what the widow of Pearl had to say on the subject:

Revenge would be easy, but it is far more valuable in my opinion to
address this problem of terrorism with enough honesty to question our
own responsibility as nations and as individuals for the rise of
terrorism.
My own courage arises from two facts. One is that throughout this ordeal
I have been surrounded by people of amazing value. This helps me trust
that humanism ultimately will prevail.

"My other hope now -- in my seventh month of pregnancy -- is that I will
be able to tell our son that his father carried the flag to end
terrorism, raising an unprecedented demand among people from all
countries not for revenge but for the values we all share: love,
compassion, friendship and citizenship far transcending the so-called
clash of civilizations."

In any case, indignation is wasted (in fact it's a fake) on conditions
over which one has not even the possibility of exercising influence. As
a U.S. or Israeli citizen, one can (potentially) exert pressure against
the crimes of the U.S. or Israel. Indignation (on the part of an Israeli
or U.S. citizen) over the crimes of Pakistani citizens is sheer
hypocrisy. The only possible positive effect of such blather is to
defend or even encourage crimes by the U.S. or Israel.

Carrol Cox

(The U.S. is ultimately responsible for Israeli crimes against humanity,
since without U.S. support those crimes could not continue.)