CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wat Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:19:57 -0800
Tresy Kilbourne wrote:
. . .
>Even my main man, the anarchist (IMO) author Thomas Pynchon, always portrays
>anarchist values as unbearably fragile. I'm thinking right now of the
>deaf-dancer scene in The Crying of Lot 49--no one can hear the music being
>played, but somehow they all dance as couples without running into each
>other. It's a wonderful image, but it's hardly a platform one could expect
>to build a revolution on. . .

I note Pynchon's portrayal of dichotomies in Gravity's Rainbow.
What is immediately apparent in reading Pynchon and Chomsky is the use of
commas in each. Chomsky appends irony and sarcasm to many sentences using
commas. It's very unique. Pynchon uses a lot of commas which serve to slap
the reader across the brain repeatedly. What's going on here?

The left-right stuff is very interesting. Some Marxist economists are
working with some Institutionalist economists, but this is sort of a
technical thing. I also note that when Chomsky attempts to write about
economics that he loses his unique voice. His writing becomes fragmentary
and halting.