CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 01:04:13 -0800
Offhand, I am not aware of any UN body having taken the U.S. to task on this.
What the three strikes legislation has done is aggravated an even worse problem
of prison crowding in the United States.  There are now more U.S. recidivist
admissions each year than there was a total U.S. prison population 20 years
ago.  While a lot of police officials or politicians have wanted to take credit
for the declining "official" crime rates (where were they when crime rates were
increasing?), nobody really has a good explanation for it.  One factor that is
often overlooked in such discussions  is that even while "official" police
reported crime rates were still increasing, the levels of self reported
victimization by crime in the National Crime Surveys were decreasing.

Crime rates are down in "soft" jurisdictions and in "hard" jurisdictions, in
areas with a community based police orientation and in those without such, etc.
Certainly the aging of the population has something to do with it.  Fluctuations
in the incidence of specific types of illicit drug use, such as crack, also has
certainly been a factor.  The (relative) prosperity may have  something to do
with it since at least McJobs are more available for marginal potential
employees. The fact that more than 2 million (predominantly young male) people
are in prisons also reduces the number of potential criminals on the streets.  I
don't think that anybody can attribute any specific reduction to any one
particular policy.  Crime rates have also decreased dramatically in areas
without zero tolerance legislation, as far afield as Amsterdam (for example).
The fact that the decrease is so broad based, across the U.S., across Canada,
and in many European countries suggests to me that a much broader explanation is
called for.  Personally, I believe that a movement away from what I saw as the
nihilism and gratuitous violence so characteristic of the 1980s media has a
great deal to do with it.  Such an influence would also explain why the
reduction is so broad based across cultures, different jurisdictions with
different policies (zero, three strikes, or whatever), and so forth.  Dan