CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
bruce sandford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:28:27 +1200
TK:
> You are nothing else if not predictable, Andrej. Given a range of
> to a given argument, you can be counted on to take the least rational and
> the most laughable. For instance, I thought it barely possible you would
> notice that HRW CONTRADICTED NATO on its Kosovo war claims that the Serbs
> ran actual "rape camps".

HRW contradicting NATO is a meaningless aside. NATO can be safely
contradicted because the report does more than enough to outrage us as it
is, and the contradiction is a handy device to provide the report with some
semblance of objectivity. That does not mean that HRW may not have meant
their chastisement of NATO, it may have been sincere, but it is hardly
material in the shaping of the case, and on reading it did feel way too
convenient in its easing the tone of the document for it not to have been
carefully placed. Funny you'd fall for an old trick like that, TK.

> Now that you have predictably discounted  its report
> as a propaganda exercise of these same powers, you are in no position to
> make that argument, which would at least have the merit of playing by the
> rules of post-Englightenment logic.
>
> You know, your presence on this list is very valuable. You perform a
> function much like Anthony Lewis and other left-liberal journalists do in
> Chomsky's media critiques; that is, by defining the outer boundaries of
> permissible dissent in your culture (taking you at your word to be a left
> activist, Serb style), you give those of us unable to visit the abbattoir
> known as Greater Serbia a very good idea of just how racist and chauvinist
> your society's core values are. And that goes a long way to
> helping explain how citizens in a society such as yours can do such
horrific things each
> other.

You know what, sport, I was with you all the way there until you came out
with the holier than thou garbage, the inference being that Greater Serbia
is so morally inferior to 'your' own great nation. And you wonder why
there's so much anti-US sentiment in the world - it's the unflinching
hypocrisy we can't stand.

Sympathetically

bruce sandford
Hamilton 2001