CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:44:27 +1100
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>  Fought?:-)

I use the term loosely. Though I understand there were some tricky moments
with those pesky French. ;-)

>It was engaged in to divert the US public attention from the
>Clinton/Gore woes,

You mean then that it was expected to make them more popular?

> and, like most people the world over, the majority of
>Americans had no real say, no real information, no time, no debate, and were
>heavily propagandized over a long period by an interventionist minded
>national media and  the liberal segment of the American Left

I detect a hint of inconsistency in your analysis. If the American public
was led uncaringly into this adventure, if they don't mind one way or
another and can be influenced in any way that the elite pleases and don't
matter anyhow, then why would Clinton/Gore need to divert attention with a
war.

Seems an unnecessary exercise, if the American public have no real say
anyhow. Why is it even necessary to propagandise to them? You don't
propagandise to sheep, you just fleece them and send them back out to grow
some more wool.

So I think, if it was a political exercise, to improve the political
standing of Clinton/Gore, then it must actually matter what the American
public thinks.

It follows also that this particular political strategy must have been
chosen because it would be popular. They may have been brainwashed to get
them to believe that, but that merely brings us back to square one.

WHY? What was the object. Surely it would have been simpler and cheaper to
just brainwash them into thinking that oral sex was indicative of a job
well done. (I can think of some plausible arguments off the top of my head,
but I'm saving them. ;-))

> (Think of them
>as corrupted capitalists with a guilt complex if that helps:-)).  The last
>point serendiptiously made it possible to quickly act when it became
>politically useful to do so.

What are they guilty about?

>The New Left was a sociopolitical movement that began in the 60's.

What does it stand for?

>Its followers are now safely entrenched in American academia.

Safe from what? What were they seeking refuge from?

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas.