CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
frank scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:13:59 +0000
This notion of gun ownership as some form of radicalness and potential
for fending off the gubmint (that's how  alot of folks who really
believe this crap pronounce it) would be hilarious if it weren't so
tragically ivory tower leftist. At least the right wingers who swallow
this line occasionally create their little militias to fight off the
U.N. black helicopters and other signs of oppression. Give me a break.

And would be armed insurrectors should take note of what has happened to
all the well armed groups and grouplets, of both the left and right, who
took positions the established rulers found threatening. They are all
dead, and many unarmed people with them, as in Oklahoma City. Grow up.

Owning a gun in this society hasn't a thing to do with power and
control. In fact, the gun owners of the consumer and debtor class tend
to be the poorest,  uptightest , most frightened, least protected and
most powerless . Those with power don't need guns: they hire their
gunsels, and have them by the tens of thousands, to deal with idealists
, revolutionaries, the disobedient and idiots.

We get drunk and use guns to kill one another; we use guns to mug and
rob one another; we hold up convenience stores and murder our wives and
husbands and sons and daughters. That's what gun ownership amounts to in
this society. not some ridiculous way to fight the oppressor class.

 This society is not run by jack-booted fascist troops. It is owned and
operated by elite powers who hire such troops when they need them. But
are not dependent on them, here. In Yugoslavia and Iraq, maybe. But this
is not less developed europe or under developed anywhere else.

 People having fantasies about gun ownership as a step towards power are
people using more energy to drive around, shop, buy computers  and send
email, than most others in the world use just to eat and sleep. Those
others may still need armed uprisings: we need to wake up from dreams of
military resistance, stop philosophizing about those dreams, and face
the reality of our need to organize ourselves and our fellow citizens to
exercise  power democratically.That means convincing people that we have
a better program, not a better gun.

fs