BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 11:07:58 -0400
>>Anyone have thoughts on setting cast-iron handrailings into stone
without using lead, but still having it be moderately reversible?   <<

I have used sulfur. Buy it in powder form, melt it down to a liquid, pour in
the stone hole around the iron newel. To reverse: burn it out by adding some
little chunks of charcoal and KCNO3 (potassium nitrate?) to the surface then
touch it on fire and keep it burning with a propane torch. Makes volumes of
cool smoke. Please excuse my chemistry if it is wrong. Not for use by
contractors reluctant to melt lead. Your mileage may vary. Test on a small
scale before significant installation. Not responsible for circumstances
beyond control. Advise local fire supression officials before any work
involving open flame. Comply with all local, state and federal regulations.
Don't tell my mom.

John (light fuse and get away quick) Leeke