BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:52:24 EDT
In a message dated 6/5/2000 7:10:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Anyone in the BP community ever use a wood stove for cooking
 on a day-to-day basis?

Bryan,

We had a coal cookstove and Baltimore (coal) heater in the Jersey City
Estate.  Seemed like fun the few times I used them, and they provided good
heat, but they required a lot of fooling around with to start and maintain
the fire, long before the joys of getting the ashes out and disposed of.  And
coal should have been easier to deal with than wood.

On the othger hand, I'd like to get a coal kitchen range for my house now,
but realistically the chances of finding the right one, and lining flues, and
all that fooling around to use it make it much more likely it would be for
show rather than for real.

Much as I hate to admit it, there's a reason why we call them "modern
conveniences".

Speaking tubes are a different matter.

Ralph