BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 16:27:21 EDT
In a message dated 5/15/00 8:41:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< How do like foam? >>

Leland,

You can put your foam where you like it. I don't. :-)

As to MB, agreed, it is ALL in the care and quality control in the
application. After 15 years of involvement w/ installing MB roofs I have had
very few call backs -- I have had more complaints from potential customers
that we charge too much (meaning more than the have torch will burn guy). If
the customer does not want to have a halfways decent roof done well then it
does not matter what material is used.

A lot of roofing problems have to do with manufacturers not wanting to
support warranties. If you can find a roofing materials manufacturer who
supports their warranty then you probably have found a good product. We got
into roofing because it is usually tied in with facade work. I prefer slate,
but it don't work so good on flat roofs.

The roll paper roofs have 0% manufacturer warranties and a contractor's curb
warranty (when they leave the curb in their truck the warranty is over). Just
came back from field trip to heart of Brooklyn and I can assure you most of
the flat roofs there are either 90 lb with a close second on the MB and a lot
of them got savanah grass growing around the drains and ponds harboring
skeeter babies. Built environment as waste land is not terne coated.

When talking townhouses I assume it is poorly informed homeowners on a tight
budget for the most part and what I thought Mr. Gray asked was what IS
getting done, not what should be done. What is not getting done in NYC on
townhouses is flat seam copper roofs, coal tar or foam.

][<en