Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:06:18 -0600
From: David Sutfin <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 1:09 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] can I format one part of a paritioned hard drive with
out effecting the other?

> I need to format my D: drive, but it's the partion of my only local
hard
> disk.  Can I format my D: drive without effecting the data that is
kept on
> my C: drive?

Yes, formatting your D: drive will not affect any other partition or
logical drive.

Partitions are only managed by FDISK.  You must specify a physical disk
drive number to select which hard disk you want to manage partitions on.
A partition is known to the operating system as a "logical drive" and is
referenced with a "drive letter" (C:, D:, etc.).  You specify a logical
drive by the drive letter and only that one logical drive (partition) is
affected.  FORMAT affects only logical drives.  This is an important
distinction to be aware of.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html