Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 14:20:07 -0400
>Zoe Sodja asked:
>What do you all do about restaurants? Seems like Chinese or Mexican
>is out? Italian too?

See the book: Protein Power (not the same as protein the Protein Power Life
Plan, which is very good but contains some different info), it lists many
ideas for meals out.

Just focus wherever you go on grilled, broiled, baked, roasted, grilled, or
steamed fish, poultry, beef, bison, lamb, pork, etc.  Then order a salad
olive oil and vinegar OR oil and lemon wedges Or lemon or lime wedges and
avocado slices on the side.  Or, if your meat is rich, eat that with a plain
salad.  If you like order steamed broccoli, mixed veggies, or some such
thing---plain.  You can sometimes get olives to sprinkle on top.  It's
pretty easy to do and there are many great options, ethnic varitiations,
etc. provided you steer clear of fast food eateries.

Steak houses, seafood restaurants, fine Italian, Greek, Lebanese, and many
mainstream restauratns offer many options.   Just skip the pasta, potatoes,
rice, bread..... ask for extra portions of steamed veggies or salad to
replace the starchy thing you want them to leave off your plate.  Ask them
to leave off the cheese, butter (if you avoid that), and margarine......

In time, you may find you dine out less and eat in more (or pack your own
meals) because you enjoy your own cooking so much and are assured of getting
what you want.  Of course, if you find other people who eat simlarly, you
may enjoy dining in eachother's homes, doing pot luck, or sharing in the
cooking with friends or family members.

Rachel

PS.  During the holidays, my husband and I and another couple had a
wonderful meal in an Italian restaurant.  Don and I had sauteed chicken
breasts, sauteed broccoli with lots of garlic, and some bites of my friend
Judy's salad.  She had grilled salmon.  Her hubby and kids ate the starchy
stuff with their fish, but we all got what we wanted.  We've dined well in
several Middle Eastern restaurants too (although we don't dine out much.)