C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:04:35 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Virtual Majordomo Account [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Justice For All Moderator
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2000 12:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Justin Dart: A CALL TO ACTION -- ADA UNDER ATTACK!

                        Justice For All

            A CALL TO ACTION -- ADA UNDER ATTACK

Dear Colleagues:

Our crowning achievement of the 20th Century is the passage of the
Americans
with Disabilities Act (ADA).  ADA is under massive attack and our civil
rights
are threatened.

The Supreme Court has taken two cases challenging the constitutionality
of
Title II of the ADA.  Simply stated the nine Supreme Court Justices will
decide this summer if Congress had the authority to require state
governments
to respect our rights -- or if our civil rights will once again be at
the mercy
of each state.

This is unconscionable.  We should all be outraged at this frontal
attack on
our civil and human rights.  We must do more than be outraged -- WE MUST
ACT!
We must Renew our Pledge to the ADA!

"We rejoice as this barrier falls, proclaiming together we will not
accept, we
will not excuse, we will not tolerate discrimination in America."
President
George Bush, on signing the ADA, July 26, 1990

I implore you to advocate with others in your state to send a clear
message:
ADA is the American way!  Don't Tread on the ADA!

Please meet with your Congressional delegation, your Governor and your
Attorney General and ask them to pledge their full support for the ADA,
and to
demonstrate that support in action.

This is not a time for complacency.  This is a time for action.  If we
don't
show our power, if we don't show our commitment, the ADA will be
continuously
attacked and weakened.  It would be the irony of ironies if during the
tenth
anniversary of the ADA, our rights were ripped away by the Supreme
Court.

This is a battle we must win.  Together we will win.
Justice for All.  America for All.  I thank you!  I love you!

Justin Dart

--
Fred Fay
Chair, Justice For All