From:
niki foord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:37:29 -0500
The only "practicle" use for this would be to reduce the millimeters in the
distance between CPU and cooler.  The closer the cooler to the sourse of
heat it is supposed to draw away, the better with no air acting as
insulation. This is just a theory, I have yet to encounter this type of
cooler.  But I see the possible reasoning.

good luck,
niki
p.s. It cannot hurt to try :-)

At 12:24 AM 2/23/2000 , you wrote:
>I had a PC Power and Cooling CPU cooler for a 233MMX that started making
>noise. The fan is vacuum packed...no screws and there is nothing I can do
>to fix it so I called them up. They had me send it to them for repair but
>then decided to send me a new replacement . The replacement is the same as
>the one I sent in but it has no mechanical means of securing it... just a
>piece of tape stuck to the bottom. They say this is a thermal tape that Air
>Locks the cooler to the CPU. This idea seems really cheap to me and I am
>quite surprised that PC Power & Cooling is selling something like this
>particularly in light of the fact that once you use the tape you must
>replace it.
>
>I don't trust this tape idea so I will probably try using cable locks to
>secure it to the Socket 7. I can't remove the Fan so I can't get a wire in
>there even if I had one. Anybody see or use these things ?...and if so with
>what results.
>
>                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>               articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." ANON