From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 19:26:38 -0500
> I have an HP 7200i CDRW drive and would like to save some of my LPs to
CDs.
> The process of creating the audio CDs is no problem, but I wonder about
the
> quality of sound based on the sound card I am using. My sound card is a
> Sound Blaster Ensonique. I would like some feedback and suggestions from
> some of you who have experience doing this - is my sound card
satisfactory,
> or would I be better off upgrading before recording audio?

     Although not perfect, the Ensonique isn't bad for audio recording, for
a consumer sound card. I think in a recent survey the SoundBlaster Gold's
did very well, but I doubt you would hear much of a difference, especially
from an LP. It all depends on what you listen to the CD with, if you are
just pumping it through a minisystem or a discman then the Ensonique is
probably more than enough. OTOH if you are pumping it into a $30000 system
you would probably want something better. My recommendation is if you can,
record the LP through high end consumer gear (or professional if you have
access) and then transfer it digitally to the computer. Although a good MD
deck would probably be good, a DAT (if you have access to one) would be
ideal. Then you can stick in a cheap sound card with optical in and you're
done. If you want to stick with the PC and don't have much limit on price
(don't we all wish) Yamaha and the other major companies that cater to
musicians make amazing sound cards for computers with amazing specs, but
that might be out of your league. Hope this helped, TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html