From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 03:46:38 MST
Judith,

>You know, trying to get my PhD and all Im so busy, I really was hoping
>someone with more time on their hands could just give me a brief
>1-paragraph
>synopsis so I didnt have to waste all that potential degree time.

I saw that site a long time ago and it leaves the main points out, if I
remember correctly; to give you the whole scoop means lower book sales.
Here's the gist:

The Zone diet's magical formula is 60-40-40; 60% of your food intake is
carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat.  The part that left me confused is the
specific mathematics.  You don't just look at grams, there's some formula.
Fat, for example, is more dense than carbs.  To figure it out, you
practically have to whip out your calculator, and that ain't gonna happen in
my kitchen; I'm mathematically challenged.

I think the formula is wonderful, metabolically speaking.  If you eat the
right carbs, anyway.  But for me, it takes all the fun out of eating.  A
typical recipe; 4 oz of meat and 3 cups of vegetables, stir fried in one
whopping tablespoon of olive oil.  I want some meat in every forkful,
dammit, and this ratio makes that tough.  But that's just me.

By the way, The Zone and Protein Power use the same formula for disciples to
determine their daily protein intake.  PP recommends you go 60-40-40 after
achieving your ideal weight, although they never say so ver batim; still,
that's the basic PP maintenance formula.  Thought you might find that of
interest.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO