CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tony Abdo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:26:49 -0600
Isoddhos, Good to hear from you, Fella.    Who are those "smoke nazis"
you talk about?     Are they the people throwing lit butts out the
window and burning things down?     Or maybe those puffer-in-the-facers,
including Good Old Mom and Dad?     Or maybe you're talking about my
ex-friend who kept smoking in the house after my baby was born
(supposedly on the sly with his buddies)?    The smoke nazi that put
that premature baby back in the hospital at 5 weeks.     And even then,
he wanted to fist fight to defend his "right to smoke" in his room that
vented into ours.

Yeah, you're a real Freedom Fighter, Fella.     And a scientist, too.

Let me call your attention to the fact that China existed at the time
Dickens wrote his novels.     And they were not smoking billions of
cigarrettes.      And most of the world was not under a gray haze, even
if London mght have been.

This gives the lie to your assertion that there supposedly is nothing
new about asthma and allergies.     Contrary to that, is the explosion
of a respiratory epidemic of all illnesses involving the respiratory
tract.     At the same time  the educated MD idiots of capitalist
medicine have gone off into an Alice-in-Wonderland world.

In Dickens' time they knew that air pollution caused allergies, asthma,
and worse.      Now MDs often say.....We don't know the cause for why
allergies and asthma are on the increase......    Hard to believe, isn't
it?       But true,  none the less.

Sir, did I speak of any conspiracy?      All I have mentioned is an
inability of capitalist medicine to deal with capitalist caused illness.
It's not a conspiracy.     It's a Confederacy of Dunces.       And we
are becoming a population of partially cut up and chronically ill
pill-poppers.

Tony Abdo