BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
david west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:32:33 +1000
Jennifer

Lustron houses were constructed using porcelain enamelled steel.
Repainting these will be very difficult, because this type of material
normally does not require painting, and therefore paint systems are not
typically developed for such materials.  It is like repainting a porcelain
enamelled bath - it doesn't last very long!

Why does the local authority want the house to be repainted?
Is the porcelain enamel damaged?  Is it cracked?  Chipped?  Spalling?
Is the steel corroding?  If so, is it due to water ingress behind the panels
rather than due to damage to the porcelain enamel?

You may have already visited these, but if not, here are some links to
Lustron house websites:

http://strandlund.tripod.com/
Website by owner of Lustron house no. #2516, with some useful general
background to Lustron houses and lots (and I mean LOTS) of enthusiasm about
the house.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ronusny/index.html
Site includes a register of Lustron homes, amongst other things.

http://www.porcelainenamel.com
Go to this site, and enter Lustron into the search engine - brings up about
70 references on that site alone.
They might also be able to help with a query about painting.

http://venus.beseen.com/boardroom/j/34846/
Text of a post from the message board about interior painting:

"Regular house paints will not adhere to the enamel/porcelain
finishes in Lustrons.

You might try self-etching primer. Ask an auto body shop about
this.

We used a glossy, marine type epoxy paint for our shower area, and
it stands up to weekly cleaning and water for a few years, but
eventually starts coming up- This paint also gives off very strong
odors, and requires masks for painting. You can find it at most
hardware stores.

Painting Lustrons seems to be a frivolous effort, and would seem
to just make for work for your self down the road. Most new
Lustron owners want to paint, panel, or completely remove the
walls of Lustrons at first. After you have lived in one for a
while, you appreciate the maintenance free design-"

And another:

"I've painted the walls in my Lustron. They were a 70's gold and
avacado and I couldn't live with that.  I used Sherwin Williams
Classic 99 Interior Semi-Gloss Latex Enamel (it's scrubbable &
also cleans up with water).  I didn't prime the walls and I used a
roller, but it had a short soft pile and I didn't have any
problems whatsoever.  I painted my walls a neutral cream color and
the ceiling in white(I used the same type of paint with an
overhead roller).  I did try one bedroom using Interior Flat
Latex, but I'm sorry I did because I don't like the "chalky" feel
it leaves once it's dry.  Both paints had a strong oder so make
sure you ventilate!  I painted my walls in late 1989 and have only
needed to do a few touch ups--I've been very happy with them.  I
also had a few nail holes in my walls, but because they were so
small I was able to just use spackle to "plug" them and I painted
right over them.  The "plug" hasn't ever fallen out.  Hope this
helps!  Good luck with the painting!"

Exterior painting is another story, and will require much more preparation,
as the stresses on the paint will be very large due to the thermal expansion
and contraction of the steel panels.

Would be great if you could let me know how you get on - there are others
who would be interested in what you find out.

Regards

david west