BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 13:22:20 EDT
In a message dated 5/15/00 3:58:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I pulled a couple of 358 magnum plugs out of a PVC roof. >>

Several years back we were doing a roof job on a tall building in Harlem,
overlooking Morningside Park. One morning the crew came across a few dozen
.38 shells scattered across the roof. They took them down to the police
precinct who casually remarked, "Oh, that's just the brothers doing a bit of
practice."

This was a HUD job, the one where the HUD inspector would not get out of his
car to inspect the job. He didn't even have the benefit of knowing about the
shells.

We hired a local that we called "Smiley" to smooth us along w/ the residents.
The sweep it up and carry a broom guy, "Hey, can you watch my car?" Smiley,
in his mid thirties, it seems had never been paid w/ a check before and was a
bit perplexed what to do with it when we paid him.

Truth is, though, Harlem has really decent customers that pay their bills and
don't scam the invoice at the end of the project, like some high-class
midtown folk always try to do.

][<en