BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Callahan's Preservationeers"
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 20:57:37 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/2000 11:44:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> We were the REVIEWERS, not the clients, and
>  though we had the latitude and the legal backing to do the job, and we did
>  the job pretty well, we knew that too much negativity could damage the
>  political support for preservation in Ann Arbor.

The experience I described here came not from being a reviewer -- Larry is
right, always try to be positive here -- but as a local HP advocate. This was
usually a last ditch effort before the Planning or Zoning Boards, which is
very adversarial and only after all informal attempts to work with the
developer has failed. As reviewers at the Commission level, we found that it
was important to inspire happy cooperation by not being an adversary, but a
resource.

M.J.

PS  Son Case (Guiness-breath) has accepted a place in GWU Class of 2004! What
an incredibly beautiful city DC is.

-- Proud to be an Amurican (with fewer exceptions than I had in the '60s)