BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Johnette Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Callahan's Preservationeers"
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:31:58 +0000
Ilene:

As noted in the article, the City of Wilmington (DE) has
adopted its own version of New Jersey's rehab code.  We
had a pilot program in effect through January 1st in
about half of the city.  At that time, City Council
voted to institute the code citywide.  In talking to one
of the higher-ups in our Dept of Licenses and
INspections, there was no analysis at that time as to
whether the code had been effective or even how much it
had been used.  The main sticking point so far here is
some disagreement with the Fire Marshall's office on
fire safety issues.  Apparently they're going to try to
iron that out while the code is in effect.  We are
hoping that L&I will have some data available as to the
efficacy and/or amount of use of the code here in
Wilmington at the end of this year.  We hope....

Having been to some informational sessions regarding the
NJ code, it seems like a great idea and one that is
having a major impact on the reuse of historic
structures.   Being that we have a large stock of
historic buildings in town (particularly residences), I
hope that this effect is felt here in Wilmington, as
well.

- Johnette