BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:05:06 EST
In a message dated 1/21/00 2:38:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  As for mechanics, they are important but rumors are a pretty weak basis for
>  making a decision of this kind. The antidote to ignorance is knowledge, so
>  when necessary, we need to be prepared to provide them with what they need
>  to know to do the job well. We all want to feel good and proud of what is
>  being done, we all want a good job.

Michael,

I suppose this is where the managment and engineering perspective differ?

From my view as a manager the mechanics/craftspeople are the only thing that
is important. The materials are secondary. Yes, we can have everyone running
controlled heats, but the reality of the construction task is much more
complicated with a larger set of variables, many of which we have no idea
what they are until the project is over. I agree, in theory, that if you have
a few parts well measured and predictable that it helps the end cause of
quality control, but the game in the field is played as a whole. Can it be
argued that more bridges have fallen down due to human error?

Stepping back, I believe the market need for manufactured composite patch
materials for masonry arises from the difficulty of quality control of field
mixed and applied materials. Which goes to the limited resource of skilled
and experienced preservation craftspeople. I've seen field mixed composite
patch material last 10 years, look real good, and without arguments or
theory. Can I expect it to occur again tomorrow? No.

My primary interest in purchasing a ready made product is if it reduces the
complications of project management. The first criteria, for me, is that a
product reduce communications overhead. This may sound like a lousy way to
select products, but it works for me. An incredibly excellent preservation
product, or service, can exist in a foreign market, but due to the difficulty
of cross-cultural translation it can be next to impossible to deal with --
let alone to hassle with the process of communicating to the field and/or the
design team and the property owner.

][<en