BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks.\" -- Mary D" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:49:15 EDT
In a message dated 8/14/00 11:47:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> What tool should Click and Clack buy to bore more 1/2" holes
> through a foot of concrete?  And, is there really such a thing as an 18"
> long masonry bit?

Dear Count Ter Sunk,

I suggest, for several reasons practical and entertaining, you go to your
Manhattan HILTI store and explain your task. They can 1) provide you an idea
of what type of drill you need and 2) can show you pictures of all sorts of
neat LONG drill bits for concrete. If you are lucky enough to not have a
f.i.l who loved re-bar then the drilling is mainly an issue of sweat
reduction... the better the drill the better the bit the less sweat. If there
is re-bar then the sweat can turn into pain as bits tend to get twisted up in
the steel and can, at times, be impossible to extricate from the concrete. I
suggest you consider a diamond tipped bit as opposed to the less expensive
carbide. Carbide you will want a percussive drill, diamond you will not.
Diamond cuts faster & cleaner, and will cut through mild steel -- which you
can hope the rebar is made of. Then you have to deal with if you are drilling
dry or wet. All this, from HILTI, is on the expensive side.

Once you figure out what sort of equipment HILTI advises you can then go to a
contractor's equipment rental place and get a comparible drill... and
possible as well rent the bit(s) that you need. In the mean time I'll check
for you if there are any training sessions available at the Greenpoint
Academy of Hole Drilling.

][<en