BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Callahan's Preservationeers\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:02:10 -0400
A couple of thoughts on this subject:

John Callan mentioned the fact that 50% of all architects get sued.  I
remember the lengths they went to at my alma mater, UMass-Amherst, when a
detail (whether it was the design or execution of it I'm not sure but I
imagine it was mostly the former) for hanging the bricks on the building
resulted in the bricks failing and dropping small bits down on the
pedestrians below (20-plus stories worth).  It was predicted that larger
bits were to follow.  I understand the architect had died and the company
had been dissolved so they sued his widow!  The building had a relatively
small, square (efficient) footprint but the exterior was saw-tooth with the
windows sunken in (a popular architectural theme on that campus) and the
building was 20 plus-stories above ground.  At one point (early on, in the
pissing-contest part of the process, a process which went on for about ten
years--even longer than it took for me to get my BS) barricades were put
around the building to protect the pedestrians.  At one point most of the
books were moved to the old library and the building and its stacks were, I
think, only accessible by employees.

As regards critical statements by profs I remember that one of our
mechanical engineering profs was told by a student that he didn't think he
deserved an "F" for his work.  The prof agreed but said it was the lowest
grade he could give...