From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 19:05:20 -0500

I had asked what other members of this list have used for  nut
substitutes in Bette Hagman's newest bread recipes.  The Oregon Bread I
had been making called for 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts.  I have used
pecans or almonds, but wanted to make some for someone allergic to nuts.

Different suggestions include:
soy nuts
sunflower seeds
sesame seeds  (all ready in the recipe)
poppy seeds (all ready in the recipe)
ground flax seed (all ready in the recipe)
ground pumpkin seeds/pepitas
soy grits
cream of rice cereal
Dixie Diner's Nutlettes, like GrapeNuts, but gf
pine nuts
raisins or dried cranberries
chopped dried apricots

All of these sound like good options, and I suspect I could end up with
totally different tasting breads.  My main concern is to keep the nice
texture that I get with the nuts.

The bread I made using soy flour turned out fine, by the way.  Just not
as crunchy a bread as with nuts.  I think I will try sunflower or
pumpkin seeds next.  Then maybe soy nuts or meal.  Thanks to all of you
kind enough to send suggestions.

Anne in Texas