From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:11:47 EST
> I have a Pentium II 400 PC with 2 hard drives (master/slave), a tape backup
>  and a CD-ROM drive (all internal).  I'm considering purchasing an Iomega
>  ZIP CD-R drive.  All of my above devices are IDE.
>  My question is can a CD-R drive be slaved to another CD-ROM drive or does
>  anyone have another suggestion?  I would prefer not to get an external
>  drive because of the cost difference...

    My current CD-Rewriter drive is a slave to my CD-ROM however, you are
probably going to have to purchase an IDE I/O controller card for your new
unit because you already have 4 IDE devices on your computer. Most
motherboards that I have seen, only offer 2 IDE controllers and you can only
hook up 2 devices to each.
    While you state that you would like to purchase an internal unit, if
possible, I would recommend buying a USB unit for ease of setup. I/O
controllers are some times finicky and frustrating to get set up. If you
choose to go the new I/O card route, they can be had for under $20. Good Luck.

Dennis Noble
www.hungryfireman.com

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org