From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:01:59 -0700
At 05:36 PM 02/21/2000 , Jerry W Hughes wrote:
>I was working on a old IBM pc 330 p75 trying to install some drivers for
>a sound card and modem, when I decided to reload the software.  I  could
>format the had drive but when tried to load the win95c it gave me this
>error:
>
>Standard Mode: Bad Fault in msdos extender
>Fault: 000D Stack Dump: 0000 0000 0070
>Raw Fault frame: EC=0000 IP=5ef7 CS=0367 FL=3087 SP=FFEC SS=02C7
>
>I swap out the ram for different ram, no help. I removed all the cards,
>still no help.
>I even tried win95a and Win98/2nd and still gave me the same fault. what
>does this mean?

I remember running into this one a long time back, so I investigated
IBM's site and then found this on Microsoft's web site:
"Bad Fault in MS-DOS Extender"

This error message occurs when the fault handler dispatcher in
DOSX.EXE generates another cascaded fault while trying to
handle a protected-mode exception. This error is usually caused
by one of the following factors:

HIMEM.SYS is unable to control the A20 line.

DOS=HIGH is not functioning properly (related to HIMEM.SYS control).

The RAM, static RAM (SRAM), single in-line memory module (SIMM),
  or dynamic RAM (DRAM) chips are not functioning properly.

  You are running DR DOS.

The third-party memory manager is not configured correctly.

The EMM386.EXE NOEMS x=A000-EFFF line is missing from the Config.sys file.

You have an old, out-of-date ROM BIOS.

Your CMOS settings are incorrect.

Your Windows files are old or corrupted. To test this, create a new
directory on the hard drive, and install Windows in that directory.

Your disks are corrupted.

Your system is infected with the Form, Forms, Noint, or Yankee Doodle virus.

It runs in my mind that when I ran into this before it was a case of the hard drive
infected with a virus.  You can check that easily enough, but do not disregard
the other options that Microsoft listed above.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>