NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:16:28 EDT
I'm a little behind in my email. I noticed discussion about calcium and
sesame seeds. I'd like to pass on a recipe that is in my cookbook, No Meat,
No Milk, No Problem! which I haven't published yet. It makes significant
quantities of sesame seeds more palatable. The quantities are really rather
arbitrary, so you could use less almonds and more sesame seeds. The important
thing is to have enough almonds hot enough so that when you add the honey, it
instantly boils and froths and ends up crispy, not gooey.

If you pass the recipe on, please indicate it came from my book. Thanks.
HONEY-GLAZED NUTS
from No Meat, No Milk, No Problem!, by Carrie Micko

As a garnish or snack candy, these almonds go fast, so make extra.

1 cup slivered almonds, walnuts or pecans (see note below)
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)

Have ready a cookie sheet brushed with oil.  Brush a small frying pan with
oil. Add nuts and stir constantly (to prevent scorching) over medium heat
till light brown.
    Add honey, stirring to coat. Let honey bubble around nuts for at least a
minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in sesame seeds, if
using. Spread nuts in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet and cool
completely. Break into chunks. To retain crispness, store in refrigerator in
a tightly closed container.

*Note: To use as a garnish, crumble over recipes such as Fruity Rice (pg.  )
or Apple Snack Cake (pg.  ). Whole raw almonds may also be used to prepare
this as a candy. Make a double recipe.
Hope that helps! CM