C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:00:58 -0800
Hi people,

  To refresh, for newbies, I live with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy,
fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease, osteo of the thoracic spine, and
aortic insufficiency (couple of leaky heart valves).

  Every 6 months or so, which is very good track record, I go on a course of
tetracyclene for fibromyalgia related deep bone pain. My doctor, of the old
school, pressed on the last rib in my rib cage, pressing til his thumbnail
turned white. He knew right away that he was dealing with a pain cycle. It's
the pain cycle that causes the rest of the symptoms of fibro to flare up. I
take no long-term "doctor drugs" to treat fibro. Occasionally, I take
Naproxen 500mg - this to avoid taking the copious amounts of aspirin I had
been using. I haven't had an aspirin in over 2 years.

  On a daily basis, for the past 12 years, I take the following.

Vit C - 500mg (1,000mg during flu season, divided into 2 doses).

Calcium-magnesium tablet (for fatigue and to maintain bone density) - an
extra tablet in winter to counter effects of cold weather. Taken morning and
evening.

Garlic capsules - to boost immune system and keep system free of viruses. A
cold/flu can put me down for 8-10 week at a time. Haven't had a cold to speak
of. Generally, I'd skip the cold and go right into pneumonia.

Vitamin E (for the heart)

A multi-vitamin with echinacea - again to boost the immune system, given that
fibromyalgia attacks the immune system.

Devil's Claw - a natural anti-inflammatory, in tablet form, found at most
reputable health foods stores. One tablet 3 times daily. It must be taken,
according to package directions, for a period of at least 20 weeks in order
to establish a "level". My experience with DC has been that since it reduces
the inflammation, it concurrently reduces musle spasming related to cerebral
palsy. Killing two birds with one stone, as it were. Previously, I had taken
Dantrium (muscle relaxant) and Voltaren (anti-inflammatory) to control
implications of cerebral palsy. I've taken no rx drugs in over 12 years for
cp.

Respiractin - an herbal liquid preparation to aid in more efficient
breathing/lung function - opens airways.

Calms Forte - natural tranquilizer/sleep aid - 2 taken before bedtime. If I
have a bout of arrhythymia during the day (after doing housework, or standing
at the kitchen counter making cookies, etc), I take 2 and sit down and rest.
It brings the heart back into normal rhythm.

  People with fibromyalgia find that taking cough medicine/guaifenesen at
night helps with sleep, as well. Because of a pronounced gag-choke reflex at
liquid medications, I put the dose in gel caps. I use Benalyn chest cold
formula for this purpose. It keeps the lungs from getting congested and
allows for more restful sleep. On occasion, instead of the Benalyn, I'll take
Tylenol Extra Strength Sinus, to achieve the same result.

  Although I haven't experienced implications of arthritis in the small
joints (fingers, toes), etc. I have read, and people have reported that Knox
Gelatin helps a great deal with that. It restores gelatonous quality to
drying out bones.

  I do, from time to time, experience what I call "fat, blue toes". That's
related to poor circulation. Since taking the Vit E and the cal-mag, that
concern is considerably lessened. Because I have no real appreciation of
temperature in my legs/feet, I make sure that feet are kept warm so as not to
experience this problem so much.

  In the next while, I will be starting a course of Euphrasia Officinalis -
an herbal eye treatment. It has an anti-inflammatory property, and from what
I have read about it, it also is effective in clearing out sinuses. Sinus
problems seem to be a feature of the fibromyalgia.  Of late, I've experienced
a deterioration in my vision - again, related to the fibromyalgia, given it's
a connective tissue disorder. I can no longer read book/newspaper print, even
with reading glasses. All the letters blurr together. On the internet, I have
the browser font set to 40pt. My mother has macular degeneration, which I
understand is hereditary, so I shall be consulting with my eye surgeon and be
examined for that, given I'm over 40.  I shall be using the oral preparation
of EO as I have difficulty putting drops in my eyes. EO has been reported to
restore clarity of vision. In fact, I had occasion to use this on Mr. Alex
(RIP) my Cairn terrier (brother to Mr. Jake who is now 8). Alex had cataract
in both eyes and this product essentially blew the film off his eyes and
restored them to their previously bright, marble-like appearance. I suspended
the EO in tearing ointment as this dog also had sicca (dry eye). Had I not
seen it, I'd have not believed how well it worked for him. Both I and the vet
were amazed. I shall be using it on Mr. Jake who has early stage cataract in
one eye. For Mr. Jake, I shall be using the oral preparation as well - a
capsule, with the powder divided into 2 doses each day. This, because I'd
never get near him with eye drops without risk of losing a finger. He's that
kinda guy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Carla