BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:24:27 EST
I Do Love History! Thanks for reminding me of Roman chariots and railroads -
I haven't thought about that for quite a while. I seem to have forgotten, the
single gauge (narrower track spacing) of early trains was based on what? It
seems to me that the Southern states of US had built primarily these and so
ran into some economic and shipping dilemmas during and after the Civil War.
Since the North built primarily the gauge we now use - railroad shipments of
industrial products had some hurdles to overcome during Reconstruction.
cb