BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 17:36:59 EST
COD     [log in to unmask]                Dan Becker
"Gee, the details are lost under the accumulated weight of several billion
posts to BP.  I started out somehow as a lower case god, an assumed term in
response to who knows what, that then mysteriously morphed into Cod (or COD)
at the hands of the mysterious and inscrutable at times Shaman."

][<en       [log in to unmask]                   Ken Follet

ONEcat  [log in to unmask]              Heidi Harendza
Ken gave it to me after I whined that I wanted a nickname. On the same day I
think I posted regarding getting the smell of cat urine out of a floor to the
woman from Eastern Europe who had the stone house and 7 cats. I dealt with
one small apartment and ONE cat.  Ta Dah.  A nickname is born. Not as cool as
your's and COD's, but hell, cat urine works for me.

Sharpshooter    [log in to unmask]              Met History
[Mary Krugman's version:]  "Well, for starters, we know that it is because of
your quick wit and biting comment!  ;-)   However, the original source of
this handle is Ken's post of 5/8/99, which followed some fairly critical
comments by you on windows, barf index (Syndey Harbour), and a direct
response to a Gray derived Haiku."

Mary Julep      [log in to unmask]                   Mary Delaney Krugman
"Sometime last summer during the heat wave, I posted some comment about
sitting on the front porch of my old house, watching the neighbors go by and
feeling the slight breaths of air coming down off the hill. I mentioned that
the only thing I was missing was a Mint Julep .... then realized that I
didn't even know what was IN a mint julep. Only that it was in a frosty
silver cup. That provoked a rash of MJ recipes. Some day I will have to
actually try them! Maybe a Mint Julep drink-off will be the next BP outing at
the Krugman Wildlife Preserve. Any recipe that doesn't pass muster will be
fed to the woodchuck under the porch."

Humor Czar      [log in to unmask]                 Ralph Walter

david           [log in to unmask]             David West
"It is a long story.  But since it is Christmas Eve, and nothing much is
stirring in the office, here goes.  About 13-14 years ago I decided that my
signature needed to be reinvented.  The cursive script left over from my high
school days just didn't fit the image I wanted to portray.  One of the people
I worked with had a great signature with flowing loops and flourishes.  But
the letters D, G and the surname West really didn't lend themselves to such
fancy frippery.

"After much doodling and study of lettering styles, I adopted an all
lowercase signature, with an upwards loop on the ascender of the d, and a
downwards loop (naturally) on the descender of the g, and a bit of a flourish
on the cross of the t.

"To go with this, I started writing my name with lower case letters.  And
really liked the shape and symmetry of david.

"I've stuck with it, and progressively introduced it to more and more of my
life.  Now I am at the stage where not only do some of my friends remember to
write my name that way, but I sign all my business correspondence at work
that way, and some clients even write back to me in that format.  Next
challenge is business cards ... and then credit and ID cards .... and the
ultimate dream is to have my passport lettered in lowercase.

"I have trouble recognising my name when it is written with capitals, and if
I try to write it that way, it feels wrong.  If I have to do it, I will use
all caps, but my preference is for the lowercase variety."

END