From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:34:22 -0500
I have been running Windows 2000 for about 6 months now.  I have two PC's -
one is an AMD K6-2 333 overclocked to 450 Mhz on an FIC 503+ MB, the other
is a Pentium 166MMX on a Hewlett Packard MB (system started life as a HP
7125US computer with a P-133).

Both systems have been as stable as can be since Release Candidate 2 came
out.  I am running the final version on both machines now after a clean
install on both and it has run flawless.  Other than a few disk management
software programs, such as Norton Utilities, and a few programs that search
the VER of the software and will only install on 98 or NT 4.0, everything I
have runs flawlessly.

On the hardware side, this is the easiest OS to install yet...by FAR.  It
detected every single piece of hardware in my computer and installed it
properly WITH ONE NOTABLE EXCEPTION:  On my FIC 503+ MB that uses the VIA
MVP3 chipset, the USB ports are unsupported.  This is a known issue with
the timing on the VIA chipset, but currently there is no "supported"
work-around.  I have been able to get it to run by forcing different VIA
drivers on Windows 2000, but it will only operate the USB sub-system for a
few minutes before locking up.

Please have a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q246/7/55.ASP?LNG=ENG&SA=ALLKB&FR=0
for a complete explanation of the problem.  It also explains how to check
the revision of your chipset before installation as revision 5 or higher
does not have this problem.

Other than that small problem, I HIGHLY recommend Windows 2000 Professional
for the home user.  Especially for those that are security conscious.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html