From:
James Alpigini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:31:14 -0500
At 10:00 PM 1/9/00 -0600, you wrote:
>  What ratio of meat/fat/veg/fruit/nuts&berries, do you eat? I started
>counting carb.&cals. 30 yrs. ago. I don't count any more. I do watch to make
>sure I get the proper amount of meat and fat. Oils should be in the Veg.
>category. In their natural state, 1 teas. would equal the amount of nuts you
>would want to eat. I eat almost carnivore. I'm 5'10" 150lbs. with body fat
>around 7%. I need to know what percentage of the above foods your eating, to
>be able to suggest any thing.

By calories, I was eating roughly 60-30-10 (pro-fat-carb).

I did drop into ketosis late last night, which may be a consequence of a
mini-binge of pork rinds with paleo mayonnaise.  But I was back out by this
morning, despite having eggs and bacon for breakfast.  I do not feel nearly
as run down as I did last week, so I think it *may* be because my body is
simply using any ketones being produced.

I do take zocor and niacin for cholesterol, which may be impacting the
ketosis.  After a few months on paleo I plan to get blood work as a
baseline, then try to drop the zocor, wait a few months, drop 1/3 of the
niacin, etc.  I can't wait to be free of the cholesterol drugs.  1500
mg/day of niacin is, well, the pits.

After what feedback I've had, and also re-reading Neanderthin and Lyle
McDonalds books, I am convinced that lack of fat is to blame.  I will be
reducing the protein to about 200 grams/day.  (Because of the Kalman's
syndrome I lose mucle with much less)  And I'll be adding more fats.

I am going back to using the food database to make sure I don't screw it
up. :-!

Folks, I would like to thank everybody who was kind enough to make
suggestions; Dori, Richard, IIya, Mary, Sol, Judith and Michael.  If I've
forgotten anyone, please accept my apologies.

Thanks again and I'll let you all know how it goes.

James at Penn State