NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Terry McJunkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 23:08:00 -0500
At 10:58 PM 7/23/1998 EDT, you wrote:

The impression I've gotten about cow-milk formula consumption in infants is
that there are a range of possible problems:  infant obesity, allergies,
delayed mental development.  And these aren't all obvious in the first 2
years, which sounds like was the duration of the study.  Plus there's the
ear infection link and wetting the bed link.  Is an ear infection an
allergic response?  No, but it's immune system related.  So one study with
the limited exploration it seems to have done doesn't convince me one way
or the other.  Plus, who does formula for a few days and THEN breast-feeds
for 2 years?  Seems like it's the study of prolonged exposure that is
called for, including follow through by eliminating dairy for a prolonged
period, and compare both with a group that never had any dairy at all.
Maybe a 15 year duration.  Let the dairy industry pay for that study!