C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 07:56:24 -0500
Actually, there are federally funded and area run programs for children in
the 0-3 yr. range.  Have you talked to anyone in the early intervention
program in your area?  Do you have a childfind or large area hospital?  You
could call and ask them.  The reason I say this is some of the things you
describe Lizzy Jo as doing or not doing show she may have delays.  The early
intervention program is not like Medicaid, it is not income dependant.  It
is part C of IDEA (you may also want to check with your local school
district).  Spastic hemiplegia is a form of cp, it's just a more desciptive
way of identifiying what she has.  Have you asked your pediatrician about
these services?  If he/she doesn't know what  you are talking about, then I
would find a new doctor who does.  Generally, what the Part C program does
is, run clinic days where there will be OT's, PT's, ST's, early
interventionists, developmentalist and maybe some other professionals.  They
will assess for delays.  It must a somewhat intimidating process and many of
the parents in our program come to our clinic quite dazed from the whole
performance.  If you do qualify, you'll want to look for professionals that
look beyond deficits and delays and work beyond a rehabilitative, fix the
problem model.  They should be dedicated to finding what you and your
families needs are.  Ok, enough rambling from the soapbox.
Which state are  you in?

Beth