BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Astral Rendered Bee Wax -TM"
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:33:39 EDT
In a message dated 04/05/2000 10:16:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Unlike donuts cellulose remains as tasty -- to termitos and fungi -- after a
>  century of service as the day it was cut. Does anyone have documentation
>  that would support the donut theory of decay?

I don't know if this counts-
I went to a bug seminar many moons ago (yes, a BUG seminar, I know... almost
as good as the rat research... anyway)

The entomologist (my spell check is broken) talked about certain wood boring
insects, like the powder post beetle, which will only eat certain parts of
the dead wood. The powder post beetle will only eat the sap wood, which is
contained in the outer rings of the tree; it will not eat the heart wood,
which is in the center of the tree trunk. Ergo, powder post beetles will only
eat the outside inch or two of a floor plank-- it won't touch the center of
the plank.

It's like a kid eating the crust of a sandwich, but not the inside. Or the
dough of a donut, but not the creme filling.

-Heidi